Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, LLP 2009November 2009
More construction-concentrated attorneys bringing more expertise to more construction projects than any other law firm in the United States…since 1978.
Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, LLP is one of the largest construction law firms in the United States, with more than 100 attorneys in four domestic offices. Our attorneys represent many of the world’s leading corporations, developers, and contractors on both domestic and international projects. For more than three decades, WTHF has been building solutions—and delivering results.
From project planning and design through the drafting of all types of construction contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders and related documents; to day-to-day participation in the administration of dozens of construction projects and the final resolution of claims through settlement, all types of alternative dispute resolution, and litigation, WTHF has handled virtually every type of construction matter imaginable. We represent clients throughout the United States and the world.
Year after year, WTHF is ranked by numerous organizations as one of the leading law firms in construction law and our attorneys are recognized for their work in the construction and legal industries. In 2009, the firm was ranked as the #1 Construction Law firm in the United States by Chambers USA, the Legal 500 US and Best Lawyers in America. WTHF has developed a stalwart reputation among our clients and colleagues alike.
WTHF is proud to have:
- The best clients. We have represented 60 percent of the top 30 Engineering News Record contractors and seven of the top 10 surety writers. Our clients come from all sides of the construction industry, from suppliers and subcontractors to designers, owners, developers, and sureties. They include: CH2M Hill, Fluor International, Hensel Phelps Construction, Kiewit Corporation, Liberty Mutual/Safeco Insurance Company, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America, Inc., Nevada Department of Transportation, Travelers, URS Corporation, Washington Group International, and Zurich North America.
- A comprehensive practice. Our practice areas include International and Domestic Construction, Government Contracts, Surety, Real Estate, and most recently, Insolvency. From start to finish, the board room to the project site and beyond, WTHF is there.
- The full spectrum of projects. We have been involved in every type of major construction project, including highways, airports and seaports, rail and subway systems, military bases, industrial plants, petro-chemical facilities, electric-generating plants, communication systems, and commercial and public buildings.
- Analysis and evaluation. As counsel to some of the country’s major bonding companies, we conduct project failure analyses, evaluate project completion status at the time of default, and defend against claims for the cost of finishing interrupted projects.
- Both U.S. and foreign clients. From foreign governments to major private owners such as natural oil and electric companies, we have represented both domestic and foreign clients throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Australia.
- Every phase of construction. International projects bring a unique set of requirements. We assist clients at every step: qualification to do business in foreign countries, arrangement of financing, creation of consortia, bidding, and negotiating the prime contract, contract administration, and dispute resolution.
- International office. Our affiliation with the European law firm of HFK Rechtsanwälte based in Munich, Germany, with additional offices in Frankfurt, Berlin, Hamburg, Hannover, and Vienna, means that we have resources close to project sites all over the world.
Large firm resources. Boutique firm expertise.
WTHF continues to grow. In 2009 alone, our firm added two new partners, an Insolvency practice and is set to open another office in the Pacific Northwest by the end of the year. Additionally, while many other firms continue their waves of layoffs as a result of the recession, WTHF has hired an additional 10 attorneys this year—a 10 percent increase in growth. Our future is bright.
Even with our ever-expanding geographical reach, WTHF has remained a highly specialized “boutique” law firm focusing on construction law, encompassing design, government contracts, and suretyship. While many large general practice law firms may have one or two partners leading a small group of construction lawyers, WTHF’s entire firm is built around the design and construction industry. This means that each lawyer, paralegal, and staff member devotes 100 percent of their professional time to construction law matters.
Building solutions for our clients, one project at a time.
Since our 1978 inception in northern Virginia—just minutes from Washington, DC—we have served over 400 clients; some of whom we have represented over the course of 10 and even 20 years. Our clients have always been—and continue to be—the true hallmark of our longevity and success. This loyalty is a direct result of our culture of client service and dedication. The growth of the firm is a testament to our core philosophy: the efficient and economical handling of construction matters through diligent effort, quality representation, and a clear understanding of our clients’ business objectives. WTHF is proud to keep the legal side of our clients’ industries in perspective, while allowing their businesses to soar to new heights. ■
Download a pdf version of this article. | Adobe Reader is required.